Friday, April 1, 2016

I was an average dog person. Then came Leila.

Leila
When I adopted an insecure, territorial 75 lb. Anatolian Shepherd mix named Leila, my life changed.  Irrevocably.  

From toddlerhood, I’ve been in love with dogs.  But for most of my adult life, I’ve really only been what I’d now call an “average” dog owner.  No real understanding or dedication to what my dog needed.  A few rules, not many.  Ambiguous and ever-changing use of language for important commands.  Some exercise, not very much.  

Cooper
I got away with this because my first dog in adulthood was essentially the perfect dog.  Cooper, a Newfoundland/Irish Setter mix, lived with me for almost 14 years.  Ironically, people used to call me for advice about dog behavior problems because of how astoundingly well-behaved Cooper was, and I’d go…uh…maybe ask your vet?  Hah! 



Godzilla
Then, I scooped up off the street an outrageously imperfect dog.  A Yorkshire Terrier I aptly named “Godzilla.”  There goes Tokyo.  He attacked everyone on the way into the house, on the way out of the house, and if they made any false moves in the house.  But luckily he only weighed about 10 lbs.  

I therefore never had to learn much about what it means to provide structure and clarity and to understand and truly lead a dog of serious size and damage potential who depends on you for all of the lessons that will help them to adapt to human expectations.  And survive. 

I know a lot more now.  Maybe what I’ve learned can add to your journey with the dog or dogs in your life. 

10 Things I’ve Learned About Leading Dogs

Lesson #1 - The leash.  As an average dog owner, I understood that the leash was supposed to keep my dog from tearing off after a distant squirrel, running pell mell into traffic and ending his life abruptly.  Well, it’s that.  But it’s a lot more.  The leash is your line of communication with your dog, and it’s also like an umbilical cord, providing a link of security between you and your dog.  It’s a lifeline, and your dog knows it.  Working with your dog on leash is one of the primary elements of building your relationship.  

I first learned this lesson from Cooper, the almost perfect dog.  He had gone up a slippery spiral staircase that he had previously, well, slipped down.  And, because of that previous slip, he wouldn’t come down on his own this time.  Scared and panting at the top of the stairs, he simply would not move.  I coaxed and pleaded and ordered him like a drill sergeant, but nothing I said or barked at him made a difference.  Then the lightbulb of inspiration prompted me to get his leash.  I walked up the stairs, clipped it on his collar, and he stood and marched down those stairs next to me with confidence.  Good dog. 

Lesson:  your dog will do many things much more readily because you’ve connected him to you with the leash.  If you find yourself yelling commands at your dog, and he’s looking at you with what looks like obstinacy, or fear, or boredom, or uncertainty…calmly get the leash and walk him through what it is you’re asking him to do.  Once you do this enough times, your dog will understand, through repeated physical action, what you’re asking of him and that you mean it.  When words aren’t working, use the leash.  Not as a punishment; as a guide.  It works, most of the time.  I could write pages on what I’ve learned about leash handling and communication, but I’ll save that for another time. 

6 comments:

  1. WHERE THE HECK ARE THE OTHER 9???

    Ok, ok, *I'll* be patient.

    My wife Leslie and I just adopted two rescue dogs (makes it sound more noble to say "rescue" I suppose) in January and have been doing a LOT of reading about training and how to best integrate the pups into our house and life with Leslie's two cats (who happen to be three and one half cats over my personal cat limit).

    Anyway, all of that to say we both really liked your insight regarding how the leash as a communication and security line to our dogs. Guess for all our reading (and successful training sessions), we never really thought if it quite that way and it really has us rethinking some of the approaches we have been taking, we'll be linking up with quite a bit more thought now, and definitely a greater appreciation of what that link can mean and accomplish.

    Thank you for sharing and all the best!

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Yes, there will be more soon. I had another post ready to go right after this one, but my partner and co-owner of Leila (Tom) reminded me that the importance of crating and creating a clear sense of place really needs to be addressed early on, so I will work on that next.

      It's great to hear from you, David! Congratulations to you and Leslie on bringing home two at once. That's a huge commitment, but I can imagine both the challenges and the benefits of doing this right off the bat with two. Were they already bonded, or are you managing their relationship with one another as well as how they fit into your multi-cat home?

      Delete
  2. Not only is this giving valuable insight but it is beautifully written as well. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Sandy. I needed really badly to write about what my relationship with Leila, and the excellent teaching I've had from several amazing trainers, have taught me. It won't let me alone. But, none of us should ever be done learning, so please feel free to share your knowledge and insights too. You've known and loved dogs all your life, and I value your perspective.

      Delete
  3. I love the kind and gentle way you write - and you're the same in person. This is wonderful information for dog owners. Thank you. We've had dogs in the past - Scotties, a Llhasa. (We have cats now, because of where we live.) Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much love - I am going to have my kids and grand kids read this - they love my furry grand dogs. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete